Thursday, April 25, 2013

reflection on my blog postings


Reflection

Looking back through the thirteen postings I have written during the entirety of this semester for this class, I whole-heartedly feel that my thoughts, along with myself, have expanded and developed in terms of the knowledge of the gender in America as well as my understanding of the diversity of individuals in terms of gender and sexuality. It seems so evident and obvious, from the early postings such as the one titled ‘A Whole New Experience’, that I had been newly exposed to such deep and not very widespread ideas and perspectives of the ‘non-normative’ genders that I now believe to naturally exist in society. At first, I must admit, I had been almost astounded and awe-struck by such strange (for me) ‘queer’ genders that I had never experienced or thought of before. Even though I had heard about gay and lesbian communities, I did not have any more than the rudimentary idea of them, not to mention transgender, intersex and other ‘queer’ individuals and what kind of disadvantages and troubles that they would have been and still go through in this current society where the binary gender system is deeply embedded and dominant.

I personally believe that reading the article ‘Claiming an Education’ written by Adrienne Rich in the beginning of the semester helped tremendously in my attitude toward this class. Instead of just passively taking in information from lectures or readings I have had to do, the article actually encouraged me to actively think about a lot of gender issues included in what I have read for class. Furthermore, I was eager to look up on internet and talk with my friends about extra information that I was curious about regarding various topics we have learned and talked about in lecture, but I did not fully comprehend or wanted to know more about.
Posting after posting, I see that I have gained and learned so much in this class and broadened my horizon when looking at the issue of gender. Understanding, analyzing and interpreting the various issues that ‘queer’ individuals faced was a rather difficult job for me due to my limited knowledge that did not help me much to relate to these people. However, organizing my thoughts and the array of ideas in front of me in order to write postings week after week personally helped me better understand the current situation and the transforming general atmosphere of gender in America.

 I recall that one of the earliest discussions and postings was about breaking down our notion of gender through the lens of the binary gender system that strictly categorizes all individuals into two distinct groups – male and female. Reading and writing about Patricia Hill Collins’s article about how the dichotomy of gender creates oppression and certain power dynamics among individuals opened my eyes to the whole new world of gender where there are no categories established such as male or female and every individual with distinct personality and characteristics. The fact that much discrimination and oppression arise due to our notion of stereotypes and ideas toward certain categories of people was as fresh as view as the vegetables in an In-and-Out burger. This idea further develops in my posting about ‘intersectionality’, an idea introduced by Kimberle Crenshaw in her book, ‘Mapping the Margins’. From the article, I learned that individuals’ circumstances could worsen not only due to their ‘queer’ gender but also by other aspects of their identity such as race, class, and many more.

A little peak into the pre-contact Native American views and treatment of gender was personally extremely intriguing and novel. Their nonchalant acceptance of individuals who are considered ‘transvestite’ or ‘transgender’ in our community is rather surprising and something that I could learn from. In addition to these conventional ideas and the existence of various types of gender, I also enjoyed learning and writing about the history of struggle of ‘queer’ individuals in the past such as the Stonewall riots and those demonstrated in Nayan Shah’s book, ‘Stranger Intimacy’. I have realized that closely perusing the past struggle and activism as well as their effectiveness in bringing about positive results could be a good way to learn and lead our society forward in not only issues regarding gender, but also class, race, and other categories that contribute in creating unjust inequalities between individuals.

I am utterly glad that independently giving my own thoughts to such issues and writing about them not only broadened my knowledge and opened up my perspectives toward such matters, but also developed my critical and logical thinking skills and improved my writing skills. Being a non-native speaker of English from Korea, I must admit that I had much difficulty expressing myself the way I wanted. However, long hours of reading, sitting in front of a computer and thinking about complex issues I had to comprehend and writing out what I had understood have significantly and almost discernibly made me more skillful in numerous aspects. The freedom given to me in writing my postings has been the ultimate motivation for me to work and think in my own unique way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment